All types of businesses require monitoring, especially DNS Monitoring. Observing and constantly checking the processes and progress to guarantee quality and good results are necessary. Online businesses are not an exception.
What does DNS Monitoring mean?
Domain Name System (DNS) Monitoring means automated checking of the different processes that DNS involves. An effective DNS monitoring must keep you updated in detail about all DNS activity, detect issues, and alert you on time about problems or cyber threats. This way, the administrator or responsible in your team can properly react.
DNS monitoring involves different technology, techniques, and software for the surveillance of your systems and diagnosis of issues. You can build your own Domain Name System Monitoring strategy or get it as a service. There are many providers on the market offering modern solutions and support to keep your DNS running smoothly.
What is the purpose of DNS Monitoring?
There are many actors involved for your domain to be online, reachable, and working without problems. Avoiding configuration errors, software or hardware failures, cyberattacks, or downtime demands to keep everything under systematic review.
The purpose of DNS Monitoring is to help you keep DNS performance at healthy levels for your domain to be reliable, meaning to operate on the Internet without issues that can stop traffic or disappoint clients. Remember that any problem related to DNS can drop your business from the Internet. Clients and potential ones won’t have access to it, and that means financial loss or a bad reputation for you.
These are the types of tasks Domain Name System Monitoring is in charge of checking.
- It tracks DNS queries and servers to detect performance problems.
- It checks the DNS resolution process to be sure the domain name is correctly translated to its associated IP address.
- In case a DNS server doesn’t answer as expected, DNS monitoring should detect and alert about the issue to be fixed.
- It supervises the traffic (incoming and outgoing) to get statistics and helpful patterns to compare the daily activity. From there, you can distinguish normal from abnormal traffic.
- It alerts about spikes of traffic or potential floods and cyber attacks.
- It warns about sudden or rare changes in configurations, localized outages, and more.
- It keeps an eye on the hardware to supervise its adequate performance, detect possible problems, and alert the right mate to fix it.
Advantages of DNS Monitoring
- DNS Monitoring improves your DNS security while increasing the possibility of preventing all types of threats and failures.
- It is a great ally to detecting on time and mitigating cyber attacks (DoS, DDoS).
- It is the best workmate for your diagnosis and troubleshooting team.
- It operates 24/7, without any breaks, to provide complete supervision.
- It can be connected to a DNS Failover and trigger automatic actions that will perform load balancing and keep the DNS network well.
Briefly, the purpose of DNS Monitoring is to provide you with automated and sharp ‘extra eyes’ to keep your DNS and online business running securely and in the best technical conditions.