A Dynamic DNS (also known as DDNS) is a highly beneficial service for every Internet user. Why? Let’s see now.
Introduction to Dynamic DNS
The day before your important presentation, you’re on the road, and after a hard day of driving, you turn on your Laptop to review your slides one final time. But, unfortunately, the powerpoint on which the future of your company hinges is sitting on your computer at home, thousands of miles away, and you remember you forgot to bring them with you.
This would be fine if some thinking and preparation were put into it. Connect to your personal computer and use FTP to download the file. However, if you don’t know a remote computer’s Internet Protocol (IP) address, you can’t log in to it. If you’re like most of us, your Internet service provider will also give your computer a dynamic IP address, which changes frequently. Fortunately, a workaround uses Dynamic DNS, a type of Internet technology.
What is the idea (goal) of Dynamic DNS?
To understand Dynamic DNS (DDNS), you must first understand DNS. It is a system that connects a domain name, such as squadrainformatica.com, to an IP address (184.108.40.206).
Dynamic DNS uses the same principle but with a WAN IP that is “dynamic,” or varies over time. Most home internet plans do not include a static WAN IP because getting one that is fixed and never changes is expensive.
In other terms, you should usually rely on something other than your actual WAN IP address to dial your home phone, although if you note it or remember it. This is due to the possibility that the address will now be on someone else’s home network when you do.
We use DDNS to fix this issue. It connects the WAN IP address you are using right now, whatever it may be, with a trustworthy domain name of your choice.
Therefore, as a result, you can access your home network using that label (domain name) from anywhere in the globe without having to know its IP address.
How valuable is this service?
DDNS can provide the following advantages:
- DDNS is a cost-effective choice. There are DDNS providers that are both free and premium. Nevertheless, it is less expensive than giving your company’s equipment static IP addresses.
- Any time the IP address of the DNS server changes, you will be notified immediately.
- Installing security cameras requires a solid and stable Internet connection. Due to Dynamic DNS, they will continue to run continually.
- Employees who use a VPN or work remotely should be able to access information quickly and easily.
- Plain solution. The program will be installed as soon as you sign up for the service.
- There is no disruption to access to your server or site. If the IP address keeps changing, it has no effect. Your website will be accessible to visitors.
- If you employ your pcs to host an app, game server, or website, you will notice the benefits of Dynamic DNS.
Let’s recapitulate. By using Dynamic DNS, you can run programs that ordinarily need a static IP address and prevent connection drops. Without a static IP address, hosting servers (web servers, email servers, FTP servers) would be highly challenging or impossible, but Dynamic DNS makes it simple.